Monday 18 February 2019

AN OFFERING (WAP; Egypt #9)

Throughout our time in Egypt, we were fortunate to visit many temples & I noticed that I instinctively developed an interest in specific characters, motifs and subjects whilst exploring them. 

 One of my favourites were the depictions of offerings to the various gods. And part of the attraction was the way the hands were styled.
I love those long fingered elegant hands!

So, for my last art project inspired from within the compound of Luxor Temple, I chose to focus on an offering. However, of the offering themed photos I took in this temple, the one above is the only one in focus! It is another that I have based my project sample on.




Copying is such an informative process!
Those beautiful hands may be simple in style, but that simplicity is gained by a careful arc  and placement of gently flowing lines. I did wonder if the original artists had a template to follow, or whether they chose their own variation of the hand theme.

Having worked on the hand first, I realised that I wasn't going to have much space for the Lotus pot offering, so I was going to have to move that hand down the composition. 
Not wanting to waste paper, & knowing that I'd be tracing my workings onto another paper to form my pattern guideline, I worked out the proportions of my lotus pot up in the top half anyway!




Once the actual design was complete, I gathered my pencils for an exercise in shading.  I wanted to give this offering some dimension, & shading was the way I could learn where different tones of fabric would eventually need to go.



In search of a background for, what I intended to be, a plain foregound, I came across a curtain sample which looked perfect.  It also blended well with the stone toned fabrics I'd found. It is always a bonus when fabrics come together happily without making me spend all day looking!!!

  As I was rummaging through the fabrics, I thought I'd pop a bright colour in, then cut it back so that only a slither was showing.  The effect I wanted to achieve was the idea that the lotus was once painted & over time that colour had worn away so that only fragments remained. This splotchy pink looked as if it would work for the effect I wanted.



Ironed & with each layer in place, I sat at the sewing machine to sew in the design.  The top layer, which will form my outlines, is an old linen skirt that I absolutely loved.  Alas...my girth has increased & I can no longer wear it, but...the colour is perfect for this & it is wonderful to give it a new life.
I've used a variegated thread, which I just LOVE! It adds another layer of interest to the visual outcome.

Enough admiring the stitching...it was time to let the cutting back begin! 
Here's how it went...










To complete the piece, I appliqued on a thick line to represent a tray.  I chose to take it to the edge of the piece to give the impression that we were seeing only part of something bigger, there was more going on off screen! This also supports the direction that both the hand & the lotus are facing. 
You'll notice that I..ahem...didn't end up cutting back the pink as I had initially intended to. This is because I REALLY liked the way the pink looks as it is & felt it gives a good lift to what might otherwise be perceived as being a bit dull!!
The background fabric is perfect.  I love the movement & energy of it.

All in all a very satisfying art project this week. Next week, I'll venture beyond this temple for inspiration, but I have LOVED revisiting through these past few weekly art projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment