Tuesday 23 February 2021

Scallop Symmetry (#9 Weekly Art Project inspired by the Alhambra)

 

Before I leave the inspiring Generalife Gardens and head back across to the main area known as the Alhambra, there was just one more thing I felt I HAD to try as my muse.  The Gardens are set out  symmetrically, and dotted along at regular intervals are shallow scallop edged fountain bowls.  Simple in design, but stunning in effect.

For this week's art practice I wanted to work with the scallop bowl shape & symmetry, whilst maintaining a colour scheme that captured both the hard surfaces & the greenery.

I haven't taken photos of my many pencil drawn variations, so you will just have to trust me...there were a few! I had settled on one idea & began the process of measuring & drawing it up as a pattern, when I looked at it & thought...NO!  I just didn't like it, so I went back to the drawing process and came up with something new.  

This is how the cutting back went...





It was good to use the last few scraps of my pebble print in the corners & I think they add interest & texture. Fabric textas were also useful here to add some last minute details, where I might otherwise have used handstitch if I'd had more time. The cutting itself took a long time, but I feel it was worth it. It does what I wanted it to do; remind me of those shallow water bowls & the symmetry of the gardens. A good place to end the Garden exploration of the past few weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment