Friday 10 August 2018

RED FLOWER in AUSTRALIA WIDE 6





After being overseas for 2 months, it was very nice to come home to some good news. WOOHOO...my art piece, 'Red Flower', had been selected for the Ozquilt exhibition; 'Australia Wide 6'!  
Oh boy...happy dance time!

Each measuring 40cm x 40cm, the selected 37 quilts will spend the next 2 years traveling around various exhibition sites.  The Premier exhibition is at the 76 Queen Street Galleries in Concord West, Sydney (Australia), with the opening being on 31 August 2018.

So....what is this...'Red Flower'?





This piece is the result of working through & developing further, a weekly art project from 2017.





Inspired by the plethora of resource material in my garden, I had committed to the Weekly Art Project  initiated by textile artist Brenda Gael Smith. On this particular week, I chose a flowering succulent as my muse.  The red looked so dynamic against the backdrop of my patio chair cushions & with those twisting fleshy leaves, there was plenty for me to play with in terms of design & technique.





As usual, I started with pen & paper, where I absorbed myself in visual note taking, all the time thinking about how I might compose a potential art piece.





Further explorations with paint finally led me to something I wanted to try out in fabric & stitch.






This simple little piece was the end result.
I loved it.
However, I struggled with the fact that there really wasn't much contemporary reverse applique going on here.  If I were to make it bigger, how could I incorporate more of the technique that is my specialty?


That is what working & reworking ideas is all about!
Eventually, with a few design tweeks & a few more layers of fabric, I had a result that I was pleased with.  This is a detail of what you see at the beginning of this post, and in it you can see how I've cut back layers to make those lovely little floret shapes.

If the AUSTRALIA WIDE 6 comes to a gallery near you, do pop in & see the fabulous range of pieces that have been selected for this exhibition.  You can have a sneak peek at www.ozquiltnetwork.org.au where they are posting a daily preview of each of the artists. 
I feel very honoured to be included! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment