Monday 11 May 2020

GOLDEN MUMMIES (Weekly Art Project #17, 2020)



 When I woke up yesterday morning I asked myself whether there was something I could work on for my weekly art project that would  fit in with Mother's day.

With a smile, the answer soon came to me...MUMMIES...of course!!

 From the White Desert we began our journey back to Cairo, stopping in the Bahariya Oasis where we wanted to see the Golden Mummies.

 Sadly we were not allowed to take photos in the small museum that contained these particular Mummies, and sadder still I didn't even mention them in the travel blog I was writing at the time.  In fact I could easily have forgotten that we'd even been there if it hadn't been for this note in my small sketch book.  I may not have been able to take photos, but so enamoured was I by the various ways that the wrappings were woven on the Mummies, I had drawn some rough lines to remind myself!

Flicking through that sketchbook there were a few variations of 'Mummy Wrapping's', so it is these visual notes that have informed my weekly art project this week.

 It might be hard to believe, but it did take a fair amount of time to work out my design & longer than I would have liked to choose my different 'gold' toned fabrics.  It was a relief to get to the sewing machine, partly because I wouldn't allow myself any lunch until I'd sewn in that design! (And I was hungry!!)

Here's how the cutting back went when I finally got back to it!!







 Theoretically this should have been the final outcome, but to me it just felt unfinished.

 Inspite of the fact that I had allowed my WAP to continue on into this morning (a serious breach of my self imposed rules!!) I still wanted to take a bit more time to finish it off better.  I decided on painting a simple lotus motif in the lower corners .
I'm glad I did as it makes the piece feel more whole.
All in all I'm quite pleased with this outcome.
What I'm not happy with...and I apologise profusely for...is the photography.
I continue to have an issue with my 'new' camera, which is so clever & fancy schmancy that it doesn't actually have a mode for full frame focus!  This means every attempt to photograph my art results in out of focus edges.  I can't tell you how frustrated this has made me & how long I've spent wading through YouTube video tutorials to try & 'sort' it out.  I eventually resorted to my old camera, but for some reason my computer no longer wishes to upload photos from it!  Therefore I'm left with my phone camera & what you see above is courtesy of that! Arghhhhhhhh!
Still, working on this week's WAP was a good way to calm down from my unresolved photography issue. I hope your art making is considerably more stress free! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment