Monday 29 March 2021

ALCAZABAR (WAP # 11, Inspired by The Alhambra)

 

As I sat down to contemplate my art project this week, my head was full of war.  I'd seen the French film De Gaulle the night before & my current audio book is set in an Apocalyptic future when civilization has disintegrated, so it seemed fitting that my muse would be the fortress at the far end of the Alhambra, the Alcazaba.

Built in the 13th century and located to give itself exceptional views out over Granada, this military base was in a very powerful position. Although there are towers & ramparts and a garden to see on this site, for some reason I only have two photos to remember it by.  The above is of Plaza de Armas & shows the remains of the military quarter.

I can't help but think that those neatly finished building remains look like a street map.

That in turn makes me think of people...not just military personnel, but all people.


The second photo shows a cache of canon balls. Instruments of destruction and death to people whether innocent or enemy.

Somehow I wanted to combine these two powerful images as symbol, and put them in an arch.  Paper & pen came out, drawing began, an idea started coming together.


I started with my 'barracks' street map & after stitching the lines, it was time to start cutting back.


Once cut back I wanted to layer some canon balls over those street-map-like lines.  I could have sewn on another piece of fabric, stitched in some circles & then cut back some more, but I wanted a different sort of effect.

I cut out a stencil from a foam sheet, but instead of applying paint to the positive circle shapes, I rolled it onto the negative space of the stencil & used it as a stamp on top of my carefully cut out fabric. It was a little nerve wracking, but I was happy with the results.


I like the variation in intensity of colour & the fact that I can still clearly see the cut out relief of the barracks using contemporary reverse applique.

I wanted to  enclose that in an archway. I like archways & there are a lot of them on the Alhambra site. For me they represent something of the sacred.

Because I'd tried to use a colour palette close to the reality caught with my camera, I chose a soft terracotta fabric for my arch & stitched it on, adding quilted lines to signify brick work.  Once complete it was time to cut back for the big reveal!!


Here is the finished outcome and I am very pleased with it. My eye is still drawn to the central panel of canon balls & barracks, even though I've framed it with quite a contrasting colour. Visually it is very pleasing.  Symbolically though...what am I trying to say? My canon balls are empty of paint, therefore they haven't caused destruction to the barrack map representing people. But the negative space has. One could interpret that negatives kill then? I  want this to suggest that life is sacred. For now that sits well with me & is enough.

Next week is Easter, so I'm not sure if I'll manage to get to my workroom for my weekly project, but when I do, it will finally be time to head to the Nasrid Palace. Be still my beating heart!








No comments:

Post a Comment