Monday 17 May 2021

LANGUAGE AS PATTERN (WAP #16; Inspired by the Alhambra)

 

In amidst the panels & sections of highly decorative pattern work covering the Nasrid Palace walls, are words. Verses of the Koran have been carved from the plaster in flowing calligraphy to remind people of the principles of their faith.

Because I can't read Arabic, these sections of written language are beautiful to my eye as pattern.  Written language is just that, a series of symbols or patterns attributed to the various sounds we communicate through in our given language.  The combination of those symbols (or patterns) is only meaningful to those who know how to interpret it. To everyone else it is beautiful script (or...pattern!)

With that in mind, I am aware that the experience an Arabic speaker has when wandering through these palace rooms, would be very different from my own, because they would be able to read what is written on the walls!

The Alhambra isn't alone in having quotes on walls.  When I was growing up, we had mainly photos on the walls as opposed to art, but we also had a highly decorated print of  The Lord's Prayer.  In the first bedroom that I can remember a Bible verse hung on the wall & unknown to my parents, I used the back of it to practice writing my name!!


In my own home, the use of the written word as decoration is mainly in the form of fridge magnets, but in the wider community there is quite a market in affirming quotes available in frames & on canvas extolling the virtues of positive thing, gin & cats!! (Among other things!)


With language as meaningful pattern as my inspiration, I began my workday by pulling out my various alphabets in stencil & stamp form.


Before even thinking about fabric & what I might do with these writing tools, I needed to see what they actually looked like; their size, their shape and their ease of use. I was very pleased with this exercise & the variation I had, until I faced the reality that this was an A3 sized paper, and I needed to keep to a 20 cm squared limit!


I pulled out scraps of differing weights of calico & various white cottons, and the process of stamping & stenciling began.  It was disappointing to see that many of my fabric textas need throwing out. At last I had a good sized stash of samples.


After stamping and stenciling I decided I'd also produce a word in contemporary reverse applique!

With all my language samples in front of me I began to mix them around to make a pleasing composition. 


This was the result.

I know it's not very adventurous. To be honest the size limitation meant that a fairly standard linear format would be the  best way to display enough of a variety of sized & shaped words to keep it interesting. I'm happy with it. The day was purely experimental & I enjoyed the process.  It may not look like anything that one would see in the Alhambra, but that's not the point.  The inspiration is most definitely there. This exercise has made me more confident to explore more creative ways of using language in future projects. Good outcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment