Monday 24 May 2021

OLD PAINT FRAGMENTS ON WOOD (Weekly Art Project #17; inspired by The Alhambra)

 

                                

In the Nasrid Palaces of the Alhambra it isn't just the plaster work & tiles that are decorative, the wood work is too.

Wooden doors, ceilings, windows & wall panels are carved or constructed in decorative ways. One would think that this continuum of pattern would clash & cause visual distress, but it doesn't.  It all sits harmoniously together creating an overwhelming sense of beauty & awe from the fact that human hands have created all this exquisiteness!

 When approaching today's weekly art project, I knew I wanted to focus on wood, but didn't know which aspect of woodwork would be my muse. Flicking through my photos with coffee in hand, I came upon the above shot of carved wood showing remnants of paint. At one time this carved panel would have been brilliant with painted colour.  To my eye, it's faded remnants are possibly more appealing than it may have been in it's original full brilliance!!
 

I began with composing a pattern, using my ever useful tools; pencil, ruler & eraser!


For what I had in mind, I was only going to have two layers of fabric for this piece, but being anxious that this may make the outcome boring, I decided to use scraps to create the lower layer.  Using a sheet of applifix I fused them to the backing calico, wondering if I'd already made a foolish decision, but deciding to just go with it anyway!

For the stitching I used a variegated thread,which is something I often like to do as it makes the stitching lines more interesting.


Before cutting back, I wanted to add a paint layer.  In this case I used a stencil with minimal paint, as I didn't want it to seep through to the lower layer beneath.  Yes, I could have painted the top layer first & then stitched the design through, but if I'd done that the stitching would have been on top of the paint.  Doing it this way, the paint was on top & broke up the visual line of stitching.


I'd randomly placed my stencil, & was very pleased with placement & colour choices.  With such exact & symetrical geometric designs it was perhaps a bit against the grain to be so random in my placement, but I was happy with it.
I was even happier when I saw the effect once the top layer had been cut away.

 


 To complete the piece I used a fabric pen to add in lines to create the effect of outlines going over & under each other.

Whilst not being perfect I am VERY happy with this.  It looks particularly good from a distance & definitely gives the impression of remnants of paint on a woody coloured background!

My only issue is....


 ... I actually like it better upside down! A very pleasing outcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment