Saturday 30 September 2017

WEEKLY ART PROJECT #48; DAISY CHAIN

There are so many lovely flowers out nodding their happy little heads in my garden at the moment.  When I was wandering around saying hello to them, I noticed that quite a few are daisy-like in appearance.

Whilst some ARE daisies, other's have no reference to daisydom on their  name tags, yet still have that characteristic look.
Therefore, I decided to work with all 5 of them today in a hope that I might create a design that can be used to include each of them.


I began with pen & paper, where I recorded each flower's unique combination of petals & centre.
Simple as they are, I am VERY pleased with these & like the way that they aren't all centred in the square.  Just with these rough sketches I can see the potential for them to become something more developed.
I chose one to base my design on, found a few fabric scraps in the appropriate colours & then began stitching through the lot of them.  I had decided to use a contrasting thread colour around the centre & REALLY liked the effectiveness of the yellow on the black.  For a moment there, I considered doing the rest of the stitching in yellow too....but, reminded myself to stick to the plan & continued with black instead!!

Do you recall my use of the word scraps?  I wasn't joking!
 "WOW!  Doesn't it look impressive...a giant black daisy against a patchwork of colours.

I could have quite easily left it here, but no....I stuck to the plan!

Before cutting back any of the petal interiors, I created a stem first!

Cutting the black back reveals a shiny white satin as daisy petals & again, I could have left it at this stage too, but I wanted to see my 'what if..." experiment through  to the end.

Further cutting back revealed the end result & I'm quite happy with it.

Even so, If I'm honest, were I to do this again, I would leave it at the black daisy stage & develop it a bit more from there, because to me, that is the more interesting of the 3 transitional daisies.

Once again, it has been a very worthwhile exercise & a good place to try out possibilities.






2 comments:

  1. Love the white satin stage, but then its so interesting to go on cutting to see what happens. I always find it hard to know when to stop when hand stitching my pieces. Thanks Joy for sharing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Lesley. I agree that it is always hard to know when to stop. I am quite enjoying the 'sample' nature of these projects, where it doesnt matter if I take it too far. If I want to produce it as a finished piece...I've had the experiment to bounce forward from!

      Delete