Monday 15 April 2019

MORE BOTANICS (WAP #17; inspired by travels in Egypt)


Last week my venture through the travel photos brought me to the impressive Temple of Karnak in Egypt where I was particularly enamoured with the wall of carved drawings showing botanic flora & fauna.  These illustrations date back to 1425BC and were at the behest of Thutmosis3, who had discovered the plants & wildlife of Syria so fascinating ....as his troops were killing off the locals!

Such was the range of interesting plant shape that I felt one weekly art project was not enough, so I returned to this source of inspiration again this week & began by doing even more drawings.

After a couple of hours taking visual notes, I recognised that 4 sheets of A4 should provide me with enough data to create a composition!

That though, was the hard part.  I wanted to cram as much in as possible, but I also wanted a combination of plants that would look aestheticly pleasing.  I've been looking at a lot of Still Life paintings lately & that composing of elements is so important; various heights, shapes & a sense of flow with a quirky spot of interest here & there...all adds up to a formula that works


After much erasing & rearranging I finally had a combination of lines I was pleased with.  Wanting to keep colour minimal, I made my decisions, ironed' layered up & stitched the design in.

Then it was time to get the magic happening & let the cutting back begin.  Here's how it changed over the ensuing hour.




                                                   

This is my end result & I am very pleased with it.  The style is so different from my usual work which of course, keeps me interested & engaged in what I'm doing. 
I've loved every minute of this focused period of time in this part of the Karnak Temple.  Next time I will look elsewhere in this temple complex for inspiration though.  I hope your own creative adventures are exciting you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment