Monday 6 May 2019

BORDER DESIGN (#18 Weekly Art Project; inspired by Egypt)


 After a few weeks break from my weekly art project, I was looking forward to returning to this discipline at the start of each week. 

When I walk into my workroom on a Monday morning, I'm never quite sure how the project will unfold & what the end result will be.  As this week's Monday approached though, my anticipation was tempered by the recognition that I was going to have restricted time due to other things in my life needing to be done! Therefore, I did a little pre-planning.

I chose this fragment of decoration on display in the Temple of Karnak, as my muse.  The engraved design has become quite worn over time, but it is visible enough to see that it is an interesting design to play with.


 Naturally I started with a simple drawing to get my head around what I was seeing.

Then, I jumped a few steps.  Instead of more drawing & playing, I immediately went to how can I do something fresh with this using contemporary reverse applique.  Into my head came the notion of Notan,  a Japanese design concept that uses a mirror image in light & dark within the same design motif. I have seen this effectively achieved in the felt work by local artist Maude Bath, but have never tried it myself.  I drew what I envisaged my motif would look like & saw the potential.



 I then took out my mobile phone, photographed the motif & put it through my layout app to get this repeat image.
This appealed to me very much & I couldn't wait to try it the very next day in my limited studio session.


 Monday arrived & so did another 'really-have-to-do-today' item for my list! Sometimes life just happens like that!  Knowing that the rest of my week was going to be just as full, I decided that when I DID get into my workroom, I would simplify the design even more & just make do with that.

Sadly, this meant that I wasn't true to the Notan concept, but was inspired by it!! Perhaps another time I will have an opportunity to give it a proper go.


 My weekly art project ended up being a mirror image of the motif in chocolate & blue.  I used a variegated blue thread to sew  the outlines in the chocolate fabric & a variegated chocolate thread to sew the outlines in the blue fabric. Although not very noticeable, it still added to the interest!!


 Having had an exciting outcome using the layout app with my initial drawing, I photographed my project piece to see what this would look like as a repeat pattern as well.  This is the result.


 Before pinning my WAP to the pin board, I thought I'd add a little embellishment...buttons, to make it less flat looking & give it a little personality!



To finish off, I tried the app treatment again & this is the result.
Much as I am disappointed not to have realised my initial plan for this week's project, I am pleased with what I got done in a limited time. I also love the potential of using a limited palette of light & dark within a repeat pattern design.  A good way to get back into the routine of experimenting with contemporary reverse applique!

No comments:

Post a Comment