Tuesday 14 May 2019

LOTUS PILLAR OF KHUN (WAP #19; Inspired by travels in Egypt)

It was time to move on from Luxor, although we would be back in a few weeks time when to spend a few days on the other side of the Nile exploring tombs in the Valley Of The Kings.  Now though, it was time to head off to Esna where we would board a Dahibeyeh for a 5 night float down the Nile!

There was just enough time for a quick look at the Temple of Khun though!

This Temple is dedicated to the creator god Khun & has an interesting history.  The original was built by Tuthmosis 3 (the Pharaoh who liked collecting plants whom I mentioned a few WAP's back) & was then rebuilt by Cleopatra's family. Obviously it was eventually drowned in sand, because it took two archeologists 13 years to dig it out!!

Perhaps it was the time buried that left the tops of some of the pillars quite dark...or were they painted that way??  Whatever the reason, the black made them different & therefore interesting.  I had seen quite a few lotus inspired pillar tops already during our adventures, but this one was different, so I chose it as my muse for this week's art project.


Pen & paper & concentration.....three very important tools!


Once I had worked out a design that was feasible within my A4 size restrictions & for using contemporary reverse applique, I got my fabrics together & gave them a good iron!
Each of my art pieces has a layer of calico on the base & one of the first things I do is rule up those A4 borders, purposefully extending each line.  This is so that when I build my layers up, I can line them up more accurately. 


Over the past few weeks of art projects, I have been specifically focussed on positive & negative space, especially in regards to creating outlines.  Most of my work involves the top layer being cut away from the stitching to become the outline.  Over the past few weeks I've worked on keeping the top layer as background & mass & cutting away to reveal the layers below which then make the outline.
This week, I wanted to do more of that, but I wanted to have two layers of 'background' colour.  This meant that one layer's lines were stitched in first before I put the top layer over it, pinned it securely & stitched in those lines.
I had to really concentrate whilst doing this....no distracting coffee, chocolate or Fb feed interruptions!!


This was how it looked as I reached for my scissors & began to cut back!!


You will notice that I only cut back one section of the pale grey angles in the background.  This is because I immediately recognised that having them in pale grey  was not a good choice.  For my sense of taste & balance, I would have been wiser to slip another piece of black fabric under there .
However, because I hadn't, I chose to get the same effect by....ahem...cheating a little bit! 


This is how it looked once I'd painted those angled chevrons black! 
So much better, it gives a sense of depth, by optically pushing the lighter grey stems forward.  I am very pleased with this outcome & have had reinforced yet again, how valueable samples are when exploring new techniques & design ideas.
I'm LOVING this series of weekly art projects, partly for the memories it brings back, but also for the opportunity to use some of these designs & patterns in my own way.  I do hope you are encouraged to venture forth on your own art adventures as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment